Finally rounded up a few critical supplies for the top:
File comment: Project supplies
HL project supplies k.jpg [ 135.4 KiB | Viewed 4316 times ]
Found a roll of single-faced corrugated on eBay for a few bucks, and tracked down a shipping tube that looks like it might work (it's a bit thick, so cutting/trimming might be a challenge). The corrugated looks a bit coarser than Howard's, but I think it's usable.
I'm hoping the thickness of the shipping tube will allow me to apply some spackling or putty to cover the spiraling seams without too much risk of warping or damaging the shape. I guess we'll see, but I have enough here for two if I mess the first one up.
Hoping to get back on this by the end of the week.
I went looking for a photo of the Marx castle set I had as a kid. Took me awhile, but I found one:
File comment: Marx castle set
Marx castle set.jpg [ 247.23 KiB | Viewed 4314 times ]
Besides a trip down memory lane, I wanted to verify my recollection that the turrets were relatively low in elevation (except the one in the rear left-hand corner, which presumably represents the keep). This will be handy when I decide how tall to cut this version. I made the base a bit bigger than Howard's, so the scale is a bit out-of-whack.