Talk about Train and Town Hobbies

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Building temporary and permanent railroads with big model trains
Return to Family Garden Trains Home page
Visit Family Christmas Online
Big Christmas Trains: Directory of Large Scale and O Scale trains with holiday themes Free building projects for your vintage railroad or Christmas village. Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

Note: This site has just been moved to a new server with slightly different software. We've tried to make certain that nothing important has been lost, but if you notice any broken links or other issues, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact page.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Post-War Lionel Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 pm 

A thread to post pic's of your Lionel post-war equipment.

This is a personal favorite, a 2046 Hudson from 1950 or 1951. Here it's pictured with a Williams repro 2671W tender, which I lettered for the New York Central:

The 2671 tender came with the post-war turbine...it was never offered with the 2046. I just think it looks great.

Let's see your pics...

Paul

Last edited by winced36 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

I don't blame you for liking this - This is my favorite class of Lionel Hudson.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:48 am 

The Lionel 246 was manufactured from 1959 to 1961. It's unusual in that it was one of the only Scout-type locomotives made with Magnetraction. This particular example was given to me by a neighbor...it was his childhood train. His Mom bought it for him for Christmas during a Quaker Oats promotion...$11.95 plus two box tops from Quaker Oats oatmeal got you a Lionel trainset.

Still runs like a champ fifty-some years later. Looking at this picture I realize the drivers are a bit out-of-quarter...I guess that's to be expected. Mostly plastic, it's not the best Lionel made, but a good example of the lower-end items Lionel manufactured as they desperately tried to keep the business going during the 1960's. Regardless, alot of sentimental value here...

Paul

Attachments:
File comment: Quaker Oats Lionel set offer
Lionel Quaker Oats.jpg
Lionel Quaker Oats.jpg [ 232.8 KiB | Viewed 39371 times ]
File comment: Lionel 246 Scout
Lionel 246.jpg
Lionel 246.jpg [ 110.16 KiB | Viewed 39371 times ]

Last edited by winced36 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Well, Lionel made so many 2-4-2 "hudsons" over the years, I wouldn't necessarily blame this one on the 1960s. :-)

I'm glad to see them making more prototypical wheel arrangements these days for their starter sets. 4-4-2, 0-8-0, etc. Even if they still stick a Hudson boiler on top. The Berkshire isn't bad, though. I hear all of these are underpowered compared to the old engines, though, and I wouldn't doubt that a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:51 pm 

I believe the current 4-4-2 in the starter sets is basically a continuation of the Scout Columbia-class 2-4-2's from 1950-1960 era. I bought a modern Scout set for a family that lives near me a couple of Christmas' ago...I talked to the Dad recently and he said they still have it and it runs great, despite the abuse five kids have heaped on it each year. The pricing on the Scout set, if they are still selling it, was very reasonable...I picked one up for them on eBay for $99.95.

My favorite 2-4-2 from the post-war era is the 1655 from the late 1940's. It's basically the same as the pre-war 1684. The 1655 came with a whistle-tender and a decent motor (unlike most of the Scouts). It didn't pull much, maybe just three of four cars, but it looked decent proportionally and has a certain charm.

I have one recent 2-8-4 I bought as part of a set through the LRRC. It's very nice but it doesn't smoke properly, which kinda irritates me. Some day I'll tear it apart and figure it out. It's not a fan-driven unit, so it's not the issue of the fan being mounted backwards as has been apparently found on numerous modern trains. It has traction tires, so it will pull stumps, which is good because it's part of the Western Union set that has about ten cars. It's the only set I ever bought as a member of the LRRC...I bought it for my kid but he never got into it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:36 am 

Lionel 2018 2-6-4 Adriatic, from 1956-1960:

Same as the 2037 except without Magnetraction. By the late 1950's Lionel had introduced steamers with cast-on hand rails, simple connecting/drive rods, and other features that reduced cost as consumer interest in toy trains waned. Catalogued in a number of sets during its four year run.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:13 pm 

Lionel 242 introduced in 1962, similar to the 246 but without magnetraction:

Barely pulls three or four cars...just too light.

Paul

Last edited by winced36 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Paul, does that last 2-4-2 have a stamped steel tender? Looks funny to me. thanks,

Paul R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 am 

Nope, it's just a plastic 1060T non-whistling tender. I've seen this locomotive with both the streamlined tender as well as the slope-back Pennsy-style switcher tender. Plastic boiler, scout motor...I think this is about as low-end as Lionel went in post-war.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Something close to this was available up to a few years ago. I preferred the Atlantic when it came out, maybe I'm just not a big 2-4-2 lover.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next