Talk about Train and Town Hobbies

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Building temporary and permanent railroads with big model trains
Return to Family Garden Trains Home page
Visit Family Christmas Online
Big Christmas Trains: Directory of Large Scale and O Scale trains with holiday themes Free building projects for your vintage railroad or Christmas village. Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

Note: This site has just been moved to a new server with slightly different software. We've tried to make certain that nothing important has been lost, but if you notice any broken links or other issues, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact page.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:29 pm 

Like many of you, I’m a fan of small-space, compact layouts…I’ve built and dismantled quite a few over the years…but this is one I plan to keep around for quite a while…it has everything I need…a “loop” for continuous running and a “3-2-2 inglenook” for switching…all on a carpet topped 30” x 72” folding office table…

It’s based on a plan posted back on January 21, 2013 on the O-gauge Forum…but I flipped the plan, left out the reverse loop switches and made it a little longer…here’s the link to the topic…you’ll have to scroll down to fine the original plan…

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/track-plan-ideas-for-micro-layouts-in-o-gaugeo-scale

I hope to have “Junction City” up and running later this month…but right now it’s a work in progress…

Howard…

Attachments:
junction-city.jpg
junction-city.jpg [ 78.7 KiB | Viewed 23349 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a great start!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 am 

As many of you know I got my first REAL train set not long--and have been playing with it--developing ideas for it to go along with my Christmas putz village etc.

I am now at the point where I am ready to paint the board I will permanently mount the track to--which brings me to my question--and forgive me if the answer is obvious, I am new to all this---what do you use to permanently affix your track.

A friend said she used regular glue--someone else said his Dad used little pins......

What do you guys do......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34 pm 

can't speak for anyone else...i'm a "carpet runner"...and let the fibers of the indoor/outdoor carpet hold the track in place...

not very scientific...but it works...carpet fiber really likes the sharp corners of good old 0-27 track ties...

i do see pictures of a lot of layouts with small screw heads showing on the tops of the ties...

if i were going to screw the track to the table top i would not tighten the screws so tightly that the ties are distorted...

i probably would not use small nails or tacks either...never tired glue...just my opinions...

howard...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:05 am 

I had another thought regarding attaching your track to the layout table top...

The maker of your train set probably has a web site with a place to ask questions and possibly a forum...

You might want to see what the manufacturer recommends and what methods are being used...

Howard...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Javinda, unless you're going to be hanging the railroad sideways for storage, I'd just use enough tacks or tiny screws to keep it from moving around while the train was running. If you're using plywood, and you're going to have to store the railroad sideways or move it through doorways that way, you can use more, of course. Howard's right, though, you don't want to distort the track pieces.

Best of luck,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:48 am 

Progress on my compact “Junction City Yard” switching and continuous run layout has really been slow…but I finally finished the corrugated cardboard sky background using the spray paint and cloud shape stencil template technique..

The method is not new…or one I developed…but it works…I searched “spray paint and cloud stencil sky” on the internet and found all the info…

I’m not going to try and explain ”how-to-do-it”…other than these few notes…my background was painted with “cloudless blue” craft paint…four reversible templates were made from cereal boxes torn to resemble clouds…(being reversible gave eight cloud shapes)…the spray was el-cheapo flat white and gray primer…

The charcoal gray indoor/outdoor carpet top is next…then on to track, wiring and some scenery…but like all layouts…it will always be a work in progress…

My very best regards...Howard...

Attachments:
72 inch wide background.JPG
72 inch wide background.JPG [ 22.99 KiB | Viewed 23045 times ]
background-4 reversible cloud painting templates-flat white and gray primer.JPG
background-4 reversible cloud painting templates-flat white and gray primer.JPG [ 88.19 KiB | Viewed 23045 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Great background clouds, Howard!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:23 am 

Charcoal-gray carpet is a good choice (I'm not saying that because that's what I used, lol):

It provides a nice contrast for colorful tinplate trains, and has a "ballast" look about it.

Now, I did screw my track down to the table (constructed of 3/4" plywood on a 1x4 framework, covered by gray indoor/outdoor carpet). I found that if you don't attach the track it tends to scoot around the table-top over time which can be problematic if you have any significant scenic work. Screwing it down will, however, increase the amount of noise that's generated by the trains running on the table-top (sort of a drum-head effect). An alternative might be to use zip-ties to hold it down...being less rigid and of a softer material will lessen the sound/vibration transmission.

Some guys apply ballast to their track-bed. The glue/ballast combo will actually hold the track in place horizontally. I don't think that's an option with a carpeted table-top however.

Personally I like the racket the trains make running around the layout.

The backdrop looks great Howard...looking forward to seeing more pictures as the project continues.

Paul II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 am 

paul ll...

back to the drawing board...no switching layout...my switcher would derail about 90% of the time backing into the sidings to spot cars...very, very frustrating...and at this point in my life i have absolutely no plans to get any new switches...but that's ok...thus a simple track plan which will handle all my marx and the few lionel pieces i have...

hardly more than a "test track"...but i've decided that's all i want...a continuous run oval with a dog bone jog on one side for visual interest...and a static display/bump-and-reverse straight down the center...

i too like the sound of metal wheel on tinplate track joints...not to mention the smell of ozone...

here's a "vintage photograph" of the warehouse district... :roll:

my very best regards...howard...

ps...the weather man says there will probably be snow in "junction city" in the near future...trains photograph so well snow...

Attachments:
bit-switcher-warehouse.jpg
bit-switcher-warehouse.jpg [ 175.89 KiB | Viewed 22558 times ]