Not much progress to show; I've gotten caught up in some other stuff totally unrelated that has me back on my heels a bit. I did, however, make a few design-alterations and start assembly on Carstens' suburban station:
Carstens' plan included no sort of platform; riders would just stand around in the dirt. We're not having that on my line, so a platform of some sort needed to be developed. I found an ancient paint-stirring stick in the shop that was 1-5/8 inches wide and a 1/4-inch deep. Felt about right, so I cut off a six-inch length and made that the platform. Printed off a bit of brick-paper, cut some strips, then wrapped the perimeter after painting the top "concrete" using some Howard Hues
acrylic paint (#1106).
Pasted the edited windows/doors into the sides of the ticket office from inside, then assembled it using some 1/4-inch square basswood strips. I papered the corners with some scraps from a couple of additional prints of the component sheet, and glued a three-inch square piece of matt board to the masonite base to serve as a slab for the office to sit on.
Sorting out the roof is next; I hated Carstens' attempt at wood-shingle graphics, so I used the Model Builder
software to print some gray slate roofing. When I printed it at 1/48-scale, the slates looked too big, so I made it a bit smaller at 1/64-scale. Looks a bit more reasonable, at least to my eye. Anyway, I'll need to apply that to the roof panels.
I'll need to come up with some roof supports; I've got a few ideas. Edit::Using a scan of the components, I took a bit of the interior-side end to fashion a partition for the end of the platform. A bit tedious using MS Paint, but not too bad. Printed it, pasted it to a scrap of matt board, cut it out, and then glued it in as pictured in the completed model.