Talk about Train and Town Hobbies

Visit our Affiliated Pages:
Building temporary and permanent railroads with big model trains
Return to Family Garden Trains Home page
Visit Family Christmas Online
Big Christmas Trains: Directory of Large Scale and O Scale trains with holiday themes Free building projects for your vintage railroad or Christmas village. Visit Howard Lamey's own web page, LittleGlitterHouses.com

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

Note: This site has just been moved to a new server with slightly different software. We've tried to make certain that nothing important has been lost, but if you notice any broken links or other issues, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact page.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:00 pm 

Paul...

Your surface texture finish looks just like it should...enough surface interest to break up the smooth cardboard...I like home-brewed finishes, too...like model railroad ballast, bird cage gravel and builder's sand...have you ever tried crushed walnut shells?...they're used, for among other things, to tumble polish brass cartridge shell casings by ammo re-loaders...

About the Gorilla glue...the one I mentioned is not the original polyurethane formula which you had to moisten the surface to use...the one I listed is one of their CA glues...(Cyanoacrylate formula glues)...

Yes...those Titebond products are top notch...I use them for years on woodworking projects and the stringed folk music instruments I used to build...

Howard...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:24 am 

I've spent nearly a week trying to sort out my approach on the windows. My initial plan was to glaze all of them using overhead-projector films on which I had drawn black panes. I drew up a window pattern using MS Paint, then printed it onto the film (acetate) using my HP OfficeJet Pro. It worked brilliantly, but when I cut out the bits to glue them in, they just disappeared into the darkness of the keep's and turret's interior (I have no plan to illuminate those). When viewed from an angle, one could see the glint of the glazing but the mullion pattern was virtually invisible. Not happy with that.

After briefly considering some sort of "frosted" window material, I went back and took a closer look at a few photos that I have of an Elastolin original. Their version has the turret, keep, and some of the fortified house windows molded solid and painted black or dark gray. Since I've now decided not to illuminate the interiors, I decided that is a good look for me, although I want the mullions to be visible.

So I went back to my MS Paint window template and inverted the colors to a black background with white mullions. After fiddling with it a bit, I decided the white was too white and replaced it with a medium gray. Things then looked a bit better. I cut out a set for the turret and glued them in from inside using a bit of Titebond (having left the turret top open until now proved handy for accessibility). Since the turret is round, I provided a gentle curve to the insert by rolling it over the edge of my table. Putting them in was a bit fiddly (one is slightly crooked), but not too bad. Here's the result:
Attachment:
File comment: Turret windows
HL project q.jpg
HL project q.jpg [ 141.08 KiB | Viewed 9677 times ]
I think it looks okay. I'm hopeful they are glued in sufficiently, as getting them back in there once the castle is assembled and the turret glued to the base, It won't be too easy to re-glue them. After things dry thoroughly, I think I'll stress them a bit by pressing on them from the outside and see if they pop loose. If so, I'll re-glue them in and possibly put a cemented-in overlay behind them.

I also think I've decided to leave the crenelated tops of the keep and the turret a medium gray, similar to the walls. No particular reason other than personal taste. I could change up on that later, but for now I'll leave them gray.

Paul II

Last edited by winced36 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm 

Perhaps a better look at where this is headed...the keep (still awaiting its roof:
Attachment:
File comment: Keep nearing completion
HL project r.jpg
HL project r.jpg [ 140.45 KiB | Viewed 9674 times ]
Haven't decided yet, but this look is nice enough to have me consider bagging the illumination of the house.

Still need to fabricate the house roof, install top floor/roof on both the turret and the keep, and the four wall sections haven't been started. Neither has the drawbridge...saving that for last, me thinks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 am 

The project has been a bit dormant for the last few days as I've contemplated the drawbridge "problem". First and foremost is my design, or lack thereof, of the approach to the gate. I made it too steep and not wide enough, so the angle/incline for the bridge is too great. I thought about chopping out that bit, restructuring and repapering it, but then decided there was a good chance of destroying it, so I'm leaving it as is. It'll just look goofy, but it's a toy anyway :|

So the next problem was coming up with a way to allow both a near-vertical position when closed, moving some 150 degrees when fully depressed. After jumping to order a set of mini-hinges, I realized those were unlikely to work very well, if at all (not to mention being rather unsightly). Howard had used something that looked like a couple of intertwined cotter pins for his, which I think required holes be drilled in the edge of the base and the bottom edge of the bridge-deck. It seemed likely that the small piece of plywood I was going to use for the bridge would split when I attempted to drill the holes (and it did), so I decided to call a modeler mate of mine to see what ideas he had. He suggested making escutcheons for either side with a couple of pins drilled into the bridge base. I moved to a slightly heavier piece of solid wood plank which greatly reduced the chance of splitting, and cut the escutcheons from a small scrap of basswood. Basswood is not terribly strong, so the risk is it will break with heavy use, something I doubt it will see.

So here are a couple pics of the bridge in raw form:
Attachment:
File comment: Drawbridge
HL project u.jpg
HL project u.jpg [ 149.83 KiB | Viewed 9639 times ]
Like I said, one would need a ladder to ascend and cross the bridge :lol:

I also finished off the house bit, except for a bit of dry-brushing of highlights:
Attachment:
File comment: Fortified house
HL project t.jpg
HL project t.jpg [ 191.55 KiB | Viewed 9639 times ]
Many thanks to Howard for providing some additional single-faced corrugated. I found some at Michael's, but not enough to finish this.

The last components I need to make are the walls, then I can begin final assembly. I'll need to make a couple modifications to the back-side of the gate structure to mitigate some issues of positioning...shouldn't be a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:15 am 

Paul...

The fortified house is first rate!...colors have lots of contrast and there are plenty of textures, too...not to fret about the drawbridge...any invaders will just have a harder time getting in!...and like you said...it is a toy...I know the rest of the project will come together soon...you’re a lot closer to being finished than you think...and I know I’m looking forward to some shots on the layout...

My very best regards...

Howard...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:28 pm 

Thanks, Howard. I put a coat of stain on the drawbridge last night to darken it up a bit. Looks better now.

Gonna start working on the walls shortly. I was planning to include a bit of crenulation, but I haven't been able to come up with a way to do that and make a job of it, so I'll probably just top them with the corrugated (on an angle). Should be quick once I get going, then I'll just glue it all together.

Nearly there...

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:30 pm 

I'm reconsidering the hinge for the drawbridge. When I went to mount it today, I just hated the look. Falling back to Plan B.

Went to Gibby's Dollhouse & Miniatures this afternoon and picked up a small piano-style hinge that will fit the width of the bridge, and will stand vertical while also allowing a 45+ degree depression. I beveled the edge so I'll get a near-flat surface when the bridge is depressed. The one remaining problem is the screws for the hinge will likely go through the beveled edge of the bridge, possibly even split the wood. I'm wondering if a multi-purpose glue will hold it...I can fill the screw holes.

I'm probably spending too much time pondering this :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:30 am 

Okay, the hinge idea worked much better:
Attachment:
File comment: Hinged drawbridge
HL project v.jpg
HL project v.jpg [ 138.76 KiB | Viewed 9615 times ]
Despite the mounting holes being precariously close to the edge, with a bit of care drilling I managed to get this done without splitting the wood. The screws protrude from the underside of the base by 1/16 of an inch or so. I might try to grind them off using a cut-off wheel in the Dremel.

The last question is whether to paint the hinge to match, or just leave it. I kinda like the cabinetry look of it in its brass finish...might just leave it as is.

I'll need to make a couple of minor changes to the backside of the gate structure, then it's on to wall construction today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm 

Okay, I think this is finally done. Other than the possibility of a final clear matte overspray, there are no action items on this project list.
Attachment:
File comment: Tunnel/castle project
HL project w.jpg
HL project w.jpg [ 218.58 KiB | Viewed 9586 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Tunnel/castle project
HL project x.jpg
HL project x.jpg [ 237.9 KiB | Viewed 9586 times ]
I'll post some better pics this weekend.

Again, a big hats-off to Howard for the inspiration, encouragement, and supplies. Never would have occurred to me in a million years to pursue this. More fun than I've had in a long time.

Thanks, mate!

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 am 

Paul...

Two words..."Well done!"...but there's a lot more to say...however...these pictures say it all...

You probably have mixed feelings about finishing a huge project...you're glad it's finished...and in the next breath...what do I build next that will capture my attention and get the creative juices flowing again?...

Yes, Paul...what the next project?...Hogwarts Castle?... :lol:

Seriously...looking forward to seeing pictures of the castle/tunnel on you layout...

My very best regards...

Howard...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next