The project has been a bit dormant for the last few days as I've contemplated the drawbridge "problem". First and foremost is my design, or lack thereof, of the approach to the gate. I made it too steep and not wide enough, so the angle/incline for the bridge is too great. I thought about chopping out that bit, restructuring and repapering it, but then decided there was a good chance of destroying it, so I'm leaving it as is. It'll just look goofy, but it's a toy anyway
So the next problem was coming up with a way to allow both a near-vertical position when closed, moving some 150 degrees when fully depressed. After jumping to order a set of mini-hinges, I realized those were unlikely to work very well, if at all (not to mention being rather unsightly). Howard had used something that looked like a couple of intertwined cotter pins for his, which I think required holes be drilled in the edge of the base and the bottom edge of the bridge-deck. It seemed likely that the small piece of plywood I was going to use for the bridge would split when I attempted to drill the holes (and it did), so I decided to call a modeler mate of mine to see what ideas he had. He suggested making escutcheons for either side with a couple of pins drilled into the bridge base. I moved to a slightly heavier piece of solid wood plank which greatly reduced the chance of splitting, and cut the escutcheons from a small scrap of basswood. Basswood is not terribly strong, so the risk is it will break with heavy use, something I doubt it will see.
So here are a couple pics of the bridge in raw form:
File comment: Drawbridge
HL project u.jpg [ 149.83 KiB | Viewed 7926 times ]
Like I said, one would need a ladder to ascend and cross the bridge
I also finished off the house bit, except for a bit of dry-brushing of highlights:
File comment: Fortified house
HL project t.jpg [ 191.55 KiB | Viewed 7926 times ]
Many thanks to Howard for providing some additional single-faced corrugated. I found some at Michael's, but not enough to finish this.
The last components I need to make are the walls, then I can begin final assembly. I'll need to make a couple modifications to the back-side of the gate structure to mitigate some issues of positioning...shouldn't be a big deal.