Note: This site has just been moved to a new server with slightly different software. We've tried to make certain that nothing important has been lost, but if you notice any broken links or other issues, please let us know as soon as possible by using the contact page.
This forum is for general discussions relating to the hobby. If you have a topic that relates to specific scales or other aspects of the hobby, look for a suitable forum first. If there isn't one, post it here, and I'll move it if I need to.
Note: If your primary interest is in cardboard Christmas "putz" houses, consider joining CardboardChristmas.com/forums/
The MTH RailKIng M-10000 was spotted out on the pike this week:
We acquired this new some 25 years ago, primarily for its ability to handle O-31 curves (unlike the Lionel version from the mid-1930s). It's a nice toy train, one that doesn't see enough track-time.
Rummaging around in the plastic storage bins I keep under the layout, found this little postwar Lionel 1655. Dusty and dirty, I brushed off the worst of the dust, put it on the track, and it took off:
One of the "Columbia" type locomotives, the 1654 and 1655 can probably be considered the precursors of Lionel's "Scout" lines. I like the proportions of this little 2-4-2 steam engine and its 6654W whistle tender. Produced in 1948-1949, it probably made some kid pretty happy.
A new Lionel N5c caboose was recently acquired as the build-out of the faux Girl's Train continues:
Based on photos I've seen, the N5c included with the original set was a pastel blue, not pink. This pink one was a repop Lionel made back in the 1990s. It works for me and validates the color I used on the 2037-500 refurb (not too different)!